Monday, May 08, 2006

I'm in Bulgaria!

No, I haven't ET'd or been kicked out of Jamaica (yet!) but I am taking a little midservice break. And I'm doing it in Bulgaria. Why you ask? I'd like to introduce you to Jenny.





Jenny is a programmer / web developer from Bulgaria who's been working in Montego Bay for about 3 years. We met sailing in Montego Bay (yes, my life is still awesome) and have been seeing each other for about 4 months now. Recently Jenny planned a trip home. She asked me to come. I said yes. Here I am.

The week has been nothing short of amazing. I arrived Friday night just in time for St. George's Day, also Bulgarian Army Day, on Saturday May 6. We went to downtown Sofia and watched the tank parade. That's right, a parade with tanks... and rocket launchers, howitzers, missile-carrying vehicles, bridges on trucks, and huge stuff I didn't even recognize. I'm not much of a military person, but it was truly impressive. Sunday we went to Black Peak in the Vitoscha Mountains. I couldn't believe it... after a sultry winter in Jamaica, I saw SNOW!!! The last 2 days we spent exploring the old capital, Veliko Tarnovo, and the nearby village of Arbanassi.

I got a new digital camera, so I am back on to snapping ridiculous numbers of pictures. I am uploading them as well - see http://community.webshots.com/user/asnauffer. Hope you enjoy!

I was saddened to hear of the evacuation of Peace Corps volunteers from East Timor, including my friends Jesse and Emily. There has been civil unrest in East Timor, but it seems all PCVs are safe in Thailand now. Jesse is providing a wonderfully detailed description of his service and experience at http://pceasttimor.blogspot.com/. Jesse & Em, my thoughts are with you guys.

Jenny and I are on to London tomorrow, followed by a few days with a friend of hers in Edinburgh, Scotland. After that I'll be heading back home to visit family for a week or so. For those interested my travels, I'll try and post again from the UK or from home. For those interested in what's been happening in Jamaica, you'll have to wait until June, cuz mi nuh tink nuttin bout JamRock now. :) Except for my friends serving there - hi gang! A special shout out to the folks in MoBay - WHA GWAAN MOBAY CREW?!!

Peace from Bulgaria,
Drew

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

D-rew! You never fail to surprise! Congrats on meeting a lovely lady. Great to hear things are going so well for you. And even better to hear you're sailing. The season will be starting here again soon. Just got back in H-town this morning, ready to kick back for the summer! ALL THE BEST.

Thu May 11, 11:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Drew, i really need your help. I'm a 15 years old girl from Bulgaria and i want to go study in JA after high school, so can you please give me Jenny's email so i can talk to her, I need some info & advice from her and Emil Kanchev.
Send me a reply at s-peezy@hotmail.com when you get a chance, please
Thanks in advance!
Dimana

Mon Aug 07, 03:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home